Penn State wrestling board at Fight on State

Penn State wrestling board at Fight on State

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 pm

What happened to the Penn State wrestling discussion forum at Fight on State? In the last month it has gone from a great place to discuss Penn State wrestling to a repressive, bitter, angry place. If anyone says something that isn’t positive about a Penn state wrestler they get hammered and I mean hammered. The new policy there is no criticism is allowed. I kind you not. A poster with the handle “roarlions” seems to be the leader of this new movement and I’m told that he either is, or was, a high ranking officer of the Penn State wrestling booster club . After Penn State won their conference title most of the posts there consisted of angry tirades against some posters there who had made it clear that they didn’t think Penn State was wrestling that well in the early rounds of the tournament. If someone even tries to say something like Andrew Alton is looking gassed in the 3rd period he gets attacked. According to roarlions that comment about Alton was a no no because “it doesn’t show support to the team”. What an embarrassment for Penn State! What happened to free speech? Interestingly the football and basketball boards don’t have this problem only wrestling. Roarlions has posted many times to the effect that only positive posts are acceptable. What a joke. What an embarrassment. I’ve been on many sports discussion forums through the years and I’ve never seen anything like this. I’m sure roarlions and/or his “henchmen” will post here and insist that they have the best board and that they are only taking care of trolls (their stock line on the Penn State board).
jdiamonds

Re: Penn State wrestling board at Fight on State

Postby hammer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:02 pm

welcome to the big board ~ feel free to criticize them here
hammer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby scribe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Their tears from the sting of loss, will be delicious.
Dake's 4 are great, but Cael's 4 TEAM Championships are better!
scribe
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Ok, both Alton brothers have looked shaky at times since their return to the team. They both served a month suspension for fighting/drinking earlier this year. Andrew looks like he dies almost every match in the 2nd or 3rd period. Nobody seems to know what the problem is but common consensus is that the team title may elude Penn State if Andrew doesn't start coming out of his funk. You hear that roarlions??? You don't control this board!! The Altons acted like back woods hillbillies over Christmas break one night and got popped for it.
jdiamonds

Postby VakAttack » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:28 pm

jdiamonds wrote:Ok, both Alton brothers have looked shaky at times since their return to the team. They both served a month suspension for fighting/drinking earlier this year. Andrew looks like he dies almost every match in the 2nd or 3rd period. Nobody seems to know what the problem is but common consensus is that the team title may elude Penn State if Andrew doesn't start coming out of his funk. You hear that roarlions??? You don't control this board!! The Altons acted like back woods hillbillies over Christmas break one night and got popped for it.

I was totally on-board until the bolded part. Unnecessary and petulant.
"I think people are learning that you are not going to win EIWA championships wrestling Rutgers Style" ~ OtisCampbell
VakAttack
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby hammer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm

you should probably leave this site too... roarlions was right
hammer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby TFBJR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 pm

She answered her own question
TFBJR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby two-six » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:47 pm

yeah, there is criticism at scout board. As far as how much over-the-top crap they will put up with, it's much less. I have been a part of many criticism posts over there, and never received any warnings or anything else. Maybe it's all in the way you present yourself?

Roarlions is one of the hardest working members on that board, he's PSU's SHP =D
"I mean a win is good. It's a team, the team race is really important to me personally, winning too but more importantly the team race. You know, I knew one of us had to take it upon our shoulders to get it and I thought... why not me. Let's go out there, let's win this, let's clinch the team race."
Q
two-six
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Well perhaps I should have said drunken, backwoods hillbillies. :) My closest neighbors are 2 miles away so if anyone qualifies as as backwoods hillybilly it's me. However I don't go around starting fistfights and getting drunk and in trouble. As far as the Penn State board goes there are quite a few posters there who are very unhappy with this new censorship there. Roarlions has put up quite a few good, interesting posts over the years. However this year he has also turned into a tyrant. A wrestling board where no one can criticize in any way their team's wrestlers is not a good board. And the Penn State board has turned into a crappy board recently.
jdiamonds

Postby two-six » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

jdiamonds wrote:Well perhaps I should have said drunken, backwoods hillbillies. :) My closest neighbors are 2 miles away so if anyone qualifies as as backwoods hillybilly it's me. However I don't go around starting fistfights and getting drunk and in trouble. As far as the Penn State board goes there are quite a few posters there who are very unhappy with this new censorship there. Roarlions has put up quite a few good, interesting posts over the years. However this year he has also turned into a tyrant. A wrestling board where no one can criticize in any way their team's wrestlers is not a good board. And the Penn State board has turned into a crappy board recently.

You are just wrong. Enough said.
"I mean a win is good. It's a team, the team race is really important to me personally, winning too but more importantly the team race. You know, I knew one of us had to take it upon our shoulders to get it and I thought... why not me. Let's go out there, let's win this, let's clinch the team race."
Q
two-six
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm

We can agree to disagree. However, there are quite a few posters there who are very unhappy with how the board there has changed recently. For those who don't regularly read the Penn State board here is an example of how a poster there is treated on a regular basis after he doubted Penn State's ability to win the conference tournament:

KhalimKhalim posted this today:
"Potentially could have two undefeated, former NCAA champs facing off in the finals at 197.
Q is one of the most exciting wrestlers in college with his big throws. I don't know much about Kilgore but I watched some of his matches on Flo last night. The guy is a straight up beast...looks like a heavyweight out there. What do you think Q's strategy would be to deal with Kilgore? In one match Kilgore's opponent managed to ride him for a bit with legs but eventually Kilgore just shook him off and pinned him instantly. Kilgore seems to prefer the outside single and lets guys get in on his legs easily. From top he's all about power...uses a 3/4 nelson they call "The Killer Krunch".
My opinion: Q will have to rely on his blast double and trip series to take Kilgore down. Throws won't work on a guy so much bigger and stronger. From top I don't think Kilgore is going to get turned with the banana splits. Q will have to get out from bottom quickly to avoid the Killer Krunch and hope to win it on his feet without relying on throws. What say you?"

Here are 2 of the responses:
"KhalimKhalim, look man honestly a lot of people either have you on ignore or don't want to engage in conversation with you. You fail to recognize that despite the fact that, yes, this is an internet message board and we can type anything we want many posters on this board have friendships beyond the screen. Even more than that, wrestling isn't a sport like football or basketball where the athletes are so large in the public eye that they're desensitized to foaming-at-the-mouth fans on the Internet. Many of us (myself not included) know these kids or may even be relatives/close friends. This message board has been one of the few spots on the web where people are actually respectful to each other and the athletes we love to cheer for. What we don't appreciate is the rabid-fan nonsense brought over from the football boards. Keep posting by all means but please keep that in mind."

"KK, you do have ADHD right?"

Khalim then responded to the 2nd post:
"No, and as a parent of a child with the disorder I think it's low of you to joke about it."

To which other people reponded:
"then take your own advice and be more positive when discussing wrestlers. The parents of those children don't want to read what you write in dual/tourney threads either. Type as if it were your child."

"lol...ADHD for sure"

Yes there were other posts that did address Khalim's post in an intelligent and respectful way. But typically when Khalim posts he is met with scorn and ridicule. All because he questioned Penn State's ability to win the conference tournament. Sad.
jdiamonds

Postby Flying-Tiger » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:37 pm

jdiamonds = KhalimKhalim
A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand
Flying-Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Nope. Flyingtiger you are a regular poster at Fight on State. Do you agree that Khalim is one of the posters that gets abused on a regular basis over there?
jdiamonds

Postby two-six » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Flying-Tiger wrote:jdiamonds = KhalimKhalim

I'm thinking the same.
His intentions are obvious with every reply, there's never enough haters here though. Welcome aboard.
Q
two-six
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jdiamonds » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes my intentions are clear. I want to bring attention to the censorship and abuse that is taking place on the Penn State board. Hopefully things will change over there but if they don't there is nothing more I can do about it.
jdiamonds

Postby PA-Fan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 pm

jdiamonds wrote:Yes my intentions are clear. I want to bring attention to the censorship and abuse that is taking place on the Penn State board. Hopefully things will change over there but if they don't there is nothing more I can do about it.

I just want to point out two glaringly obvious hypocrisies in this post (as well as your over-arching idea). Two words: Censorship and Abuse.

1. You are complaining about censorship, and as a solution want to censor people's opinion's of what the board should be? Uhh, ok. They are not blocking or deleting these posts you are talking about, just seemingly being pricks. That is not censorship.

2. You are complaining about abuse these posters are receiving. Ok, two things here. First, what do you call it when you call the Alton's "back woods hillbillies "? Second, again you are speaking about censorship and freedom of speech - that is a two way street. If you want to say whatever you want, people who opose your opinions have to be allowed to as well - even if whatever it is they say is stupid/ignorant/etc. That is what these boards are here for - to discuss.

You don't want it to be an all-praise-all-the-time board...great (I actually tend to agree with that). But please see the hypocrisy and contradictions in what you are saying here - they are making my head spin.
Kid Dynamite. #1
PA-Fan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PAFan23 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:45 am

jdiamonds= MilesKauffman?
Hey jdiamonds, I am an occasional reader over there, not a poster. It seems to me that people don't like (your) his approach just as much as they don't like (your) his message. No biggie- if you don't like it, (you) he can take (your) his posts to one of the other boards. If ones self-worth is dependent upon them being liked on an anonymous wrestling forum, they have much bigger fish to fry.
In actuality, there was some reasonable discussion in the thread you quoted, so I'm not sure just how toxic it was...
PAFan23
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby fatoldlion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 am

hammer wrote:you should probably leave this site too... roarlions was right

+1
fatoldlion

Postby fatoldlion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 am

Jdiamonds is not Miles. Miles may be a chicken little who always thinks the sky is falling, but he is really a Penn State fan, and doesn't personally attack the athletes the way KhalimKhalim does.
Kk is new to the site and his constant negativity has made that message board must less enjoyable. He also apparently has almost no life as posts like 20 times a day. Cubic zirconia who joined this forum YESTERDAY is KK and he seems intend on ruining this forum too. My advise to moderator ban this idiot. It's nationals time. Can McDonough recover, can Nico take out Waters, will Ramos finally get Steiber, can anyone stop Oliver, can Alton pull an upset and take it all or will DSJ get his championship, Brown, Evans, Storley, is Ruth better than Geurig, Killer v. Q-----Dake v. Taylor 3. This is what e should be talking about not this cubic zirconia a hole who signed up YESTERDAY!
fatoldlion

Postby jdiamonds » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

The censorship at Fight on State is censorship by intimidation. Google it if you want to read more about it. What happens in this process is that one or more people are singled out for negative treatment because of something that they did or said. This is done to send a message to others to not do what those individuals did. In the case of the Fight on State forum KK and Miles have been singled out because they said things that weren't positive about Penn State wrestlers. And yes this process has had a very real effect over there. And as I said in my first post here there will be some from Fight on State who come to this forum and insist that nothing is wrong there and that KK and Miles are the only problems.

I am not asking for anyone's posts to be deleted over there. I am hoping that the group who has been engaging in the intimidation will level off their actions so that the forum can get back to having open discussions in general. Hopefully my posts from last night will open the eyes of enough people over there so that things will change. I've already heard this morning that my message is having a good effect. And there already has been one post this morning where someone felt comfortable enough to say something less than positive about one of the wrestlers.

Yes my posts last night looked hypocritical. My looking down on the abuse taking place at Fight on State and then saying something low about how the Altons acted one night was just that. But there was a point to my method and that was to demonstrate what has been happening on a daily basis at Fight on State. A group of posters there claim that only positive things should be posted yet they heap abuse on Khalim on a daily basis no matter what he posts. Enough of this. It's time for the NCAAs.
jdiamonds

Next

Return to College Wrestling