Subject: OT for Trails, or not?
Greco Coaches and Athletes,
There has been a big push in freestyle to go with Overtime for freestyle in the World Team Trials. It looks like they will go with some sort of OT, even though the World Championships may still go with Criteria to determine the winner. Many freestyle coaches want to be the leaders in the world; and show that OT is the right thing to do to make our sport more fan friendly and exciting. This still will have to be approved by the Freestyle Sport committee.
In Greco we have the same opportunity. On Tuesday, evening (June 4) there will be a Greco Sport Committee call to determine what Greco will do in this regard. I want all of you to feel free to weigh –in on what you think Greco should do. Below I have listed some options for us to think about.
Please respond to this email, by Monday morning (June 3), by stating what you think Greco should do for the World Team Trials in regards to implementing OT or sticking with Criteria. And if you think we should do OT, then which option. Again, keep in mind that the World Championships may very well be sticking with Criteria.
Other things to consider:
1. Keep it simple for the fans to understand.
2. Prepare our team to win medals in Hungary at the World Championships.
3. Be leaders in the world when it comes to creating the best most exciting and fair rules for the athletes and spectators.
4. Reward the best conditioned and talented wrestlers.
If we decide to stick with Criteria to determine the winner of a tie match, the criteria is:
Criteria: Most 5 points actions, most 3 point actions, most 2 point actions, then last point scored. Passivity’s/Cautions will NOT play into the Criteria.
If we think we should go with OT, then which option do you like:
Options for Overtime:
1. Overtime starts on feet; make zone the out of bounds (thus shrinking the mat by 30%). Sudden Victory with no time limit. Referees can still call for passivity/cautions, which could end bout. Push outs and all scoring would apply (in all of these options).
2. Overtime starts on feet; make zone the out of bounds (thus shrinking the mat by 30%). Sudden Victory with 1 or 2 minute time limit. If still tie at end of time limit then Criteria determines winner.
3. Overtime starts on feet; Sudden Victory with no time limit. Referees can still call for passivity/cautions, which could end bout.
4. Overtime starts on feet; Sudden Victory with 1 or 2 minute time limit. If still tie at end of time limit then Criteria determines winner.
5. Overtime Parterre - 30 seconds: At end of regulation, criteria determines which wrestler gets choice of top or bottom. Top wrestlers must score to win.
6. Your ideas? Other options?
Please respond by Monday so I can represent your thoughts on the Tuesday Greco Sport committee call.
Thank you for your passion to better the Greco-Roman wrestling rules!