Aaron Pico

Aaron Pico

Postby paver1surf1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:45 pm

How good is Aaron Pico? He just basically walked through the field at the Junior Nationals including crushing his finals opponent who was an NCAA qualifier. The kid just finished his freshman year of high school.
paver1surf1
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Aaron Pico

Postby tec87 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:48 pm

Here's a discussion from the HS board.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22393
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!
tec87
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby wiedsworld » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

paver1surf1 wrote:How good is Aaron Pico? He just basically walked through the field at the Junior Nationals including crushing his finals opponent who was an NCAA qualifier. The kid just finished his freshman year of high school.
He's the real deal. I saw him live at the Ironman and he was breaking really good wrestlers. He broke every kid he wrestled except for his finals match. Conner Schram from PA just wanted to get the hell off the mat and his semis opponent was seriously overwhelmed.
wiedsworld
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby rossel3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 pm

He crushed everyone in his first CA state tourney, scoring bonus in every match, including a MD in finals over last year's runnerup.

Today at FILA Jrs he outscored his opponents 34-2.

This kid is unbelieveable.
rossel3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby paver1surf1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Just looked him up on Youtube I can’t remember seeing someone that pushes the pace that hard and keeps such solid position, by the end of the first period you can just see the collapse of his opponents.
paver1surf1
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby wiedsworld » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

paver1surf1 wrote:Just looked him up on Youtube I can’t remember seeing someone that pushes the pace that hard and keeps such solid position, by the end of the first period you can just see the collapse of his opponents.

That's another thing that struck me watching him, he is not satisfied to just beat you, he wants to destroy you and pile up the points. A lot of very good wrestlers get a lead and then go defensive, he is always pushing the pace and looking to score no matter the score.
wiedsworld
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby MadMardigain » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm

If I read it right he won both FILA Freestyle and Greco and did so like a true Hammer. Sure he maybe be a very old HS Freshman, but has proven he's at the skill level of some solid college guys this weekend.
MadMardigain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cletus_Tucker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:20 pm

MadMardigain wrote:If I read it right he won both FILA Freestyle and Greco and did so like a true Hammer. Sure he maybe be a very old HS Freshman, but has proven he's at the skill level of some solid college guys this weekend.

A HS freshman??? Jeeeeeez! I don't recall the last time I saw such impressive accomplishments from a kid with only 1 HS season under his belt. I saw him compete last season but didn't realize he was just breaking into HS. He's the best I've seen currently in HS and that includes the entire nation, all HS grades, all ages and I've seen them all.
Come on FILA, lets get some weight classes back!
Cletus_Tucker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby gutfirst » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 pm

it takes a special kid to go both styles and place in both. but the kids that win both are the example all wrestlers should strive to be like.

kids that only go one style are admitting that they aren't at the level aaron pico is at. btw congrats to hayden tuma 1st in greco and 5th in free.
gutfirst
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby skikayaker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 pm

He's better than Marsteller was when Marsteller was a freshman. Pico was amazing this week in GR and FS. I don't remember a more dominant high school freshman, ever. He goes beyond bluechip. He's a once a decade talent.
ASICS - (Latin) Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - (English) a sound mind in a sound body.
skikayaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pamela » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 am

This kid is such a beast. Is he headed straight to the OTC once this school year is out for him? His dad has always said college is the priority, but I guess there's talk otherwise as well. It's so dumb that the IOC's stupidity is rushing guys like Pico into the Olympic Wrestling pipeline. Not that he isn't capable, but it would be a real treat for the fans and for folkstyle if Aaron could just be a kid and enjoy a run through CIFs and NCAAs -- not to mention high school and college, which would be the most formative years of his life -- if 2020 was an option. What a treat it would be to watch it all unfold. Maybe I'm being greedy, but I think it would suck if Pico ended up being a quick flash in the pan like Cejudo when he could do so much more for the sport. But I digress.

Gonna enjoy watching this guy while I can!
pamela
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby wessegar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:04 am

skikayaker wrote:He's better than Marsteller was when Marsteller was a freshman. Pico was amazing this week in GR and FS. I don't remember a more dominant high school freshman, ever. He goes beyond bluechip. He's a once a decade talent.

I would argue that he's a once in generation type talent. Truly unbelievable.
wessegar

Postby VakAttack » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:08 am

Is it really fair to compare him to Marstellar as a freshman? Isn't he like 1 year younger than Marstellar despite being 2 grades behind? I'm not begrudging his ability in the future based on age, but just saying the comparison to Marstellar isn't fair.
"I think people are learning that you are not going to win EIWA championships wrestling Rutgers Style" ~ OtisCampbell
VakAttack
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Postby wessegar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 am

They could be the same age and grade and I think pico's future is still brighter..
wessegar

Postby TwosackJon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Let me jinx the poor lad and ask, "Could Pico be the next guy that does what Cael did?" :idea:
TwosackJon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby BigRedMachine » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm

^ Jumping the gun a little, arnt we?

Also, anyone know how old Pico is? (I'm not trying to troll, I'm just curious)
BigRedMachine
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby pamela » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:08 pm

pamela
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby kalifornian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:16 pm

First off, I have no special knowledge about Aaron Pico. Just a fan of California wrestling and wrestling in general.

A quick search shows his birthday to be 09/23/96, which means he will turn 19 a few weeks into his senior year. For comparison, Chance Marsteller's birthday is 07/09/95, which means he will be 18 his entire senior year. Pico is basically 9.5 months older than Marsteller. I'll leave it to the reader to decide if that is enough to significantly tarnish his impressive freshman year.

There is no doubt in my mind that being older in high school helps most kids. However, I doubt that being a bit older as a freshman is more helpful than getting to wrestle tough high school competition for several years in PA, OH, etc.

Another quick search shows that Pico was at least a few times Golden Gloves Champ and World Pankration Champ. This might explain his somewhat unique hardnosed style.
kalifornian

Postby kalifornian » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I think Pico is about 9.5 months older than Marsteller. So Pico will be 19 for almost his entire senior year, while Marsteller will turn 18 this summer before the start of his senior year. The age topic has been debated a lot, but is the age difference great enough to significantly tarnish the results of his freshman campaign?

I don't have any insider knowledge about Mr. Pico. I am simply a fan of California wrestling and wrestling in general. A quick search shows that aside from his wrestling credentials he is also a multi-time Golden Gloves Champ and a World Pankration Champ. This gladiator background probably explains his somewhat unique hardnosed style for a 'freshman'.
kalifornian

Postby paver1surf1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:48 pm

TwosackJon wrote:Let me jinx the poor lad and ask, "Could Pico be the next guy that does what Cael did?" :idea:

It’s way too early to call him the second coming of Sanderson. All I know is he is a hell of a lot of fun to watch compete and the upside is truly frightening.
paver1surf1
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby MadMardigain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm

BigRedMachine wrote:^ Jumping the gun a little, arnt we?

Also, anyone know how old Pico is? (I'm not trying to troll, I'm just curious)

To qualify for FILA Junior age division you would be at the youngest a 1996 birthday (and have a waiver). That would make him 16 but be turning 17 at some point before the end of this year
MadMardigain
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostThis post was deleted by MadMardigain on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm.

Postby Cletus_Tucker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Only 16 years old? Yeah, this kid is going to be truly one of the special talents we only see so often. I've seen the interview where his coach says the goal is Olympic Gold. I'm wondering if that means skip college and make the team in 2016. What a monster this kid is.
Come on FILA, lets get some weight classes back!
Cletus_Tucker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby MadMardigain » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Cletus_Tucker wrote:Only 16 years old? Yeah, this kid is going to be truly one of the special talents we only see so often. I've seen the interview where his coach says the goal is Olympic Gold. I'm wondering if that means skip college and make the team in 2016. What a monster this kid is.

I think you mean delaying college. And I would suspect the upcoming Olympic wrestling decision would play a decent factor in that decision.
MadMardigain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NJDan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Did Marsteller wrestle this weekend?
NJDan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Next

Return to International Wrestling